Thursday 23 February 2012

Match Moving aka Tracking

This week I have been scratching up on my skills in match moving aka tracking. This is because I haven't practised in a while and I like to keep up to date with software I've learned to use. I'm doing this with Matchmover, Maya Live and PFTrack. Even though being a Match Move Artist is tedious work and involves long and anti-social hours I would still enjoy doing it as a job, I think it is one where I could only get better at it and be very skilled in it due to my good eye-for-detail, patience and being a perfectionist.
When I have finished scratching up on my skills in it I will post some of my tracking work for you to see.


For those that don't know what a Match Move Artist does

Also known as Matchmovers or 3D Trackers, Match Move Artists translate and imitate the camera movements contained in live action shots and, using the appropriate software, match those movements in 3D.

As this involves working on previously shot live action footage, the role more often exists on special effects work, within facility houses or on projects that combine live action and computer graphics. This job can involve long and anti-social hours.

What is the job?
Match Move Artists position tracking points on live action shots and, using those tracking points, they work out the co-ordinates in the relevant 3D programme. The information they provide enables the CG geometry to fit accurately and convincingly into the live action plates when the various elements are composited.

It is vital that Match Move Artists use a high degree of accuracy; without accurate match moving, the later stages of production will not work. Depending on the production, it is likely that Match Move Artists will be working on Maya, Shake or one of several 3D tracking programmes including 3D Equalizer, Maya Live or Boujou.

They will need to train or re-train as software develops. It is worth noting that, although Match Moving is often an entry level role in the UK, in many American studios it can be regarded as a career.

Information above from www.skillset.org

0 comments:

Post a Comment